Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Sallie Gardner Effect: First!


Issue # 0
by ManicallyDepressed



Welcome to The Asterisks. The Sallie Gardner Effect will serve as my main contribution to the site and to kick things off, I decided to write an overview on what the SGE will be all about.

Who the hell is Sallie Gardner?
In the year 1878, a certain someone sponsored a certain smarty pants to prove that horses, when running, lift all four hooves off the ground at the same time. To prove this, the smarty pants set several cameras parallel to the horse track. Each camera was controlled by a trip wire to be triggered by the horse as it runs through the track. This experiment produced the first ever motion picture. More than a century later, people watched gigantic robots in war, a boy wizard fighting a Dark Lord, a 3-ft. hobbit destroy the one ring, and a vampire and a human falling in love. And all these were viewed in 72 ft. by 53 ft. IMAX screens. Aaah. Things truly changed after the day Sallie Gardner galloped through that track.


So... movies, right?
Yes! Movies! The SGE will be all about movies. Most of the time, I will be reviewing movies.

Oh god, sci-fi again?!
Now, what movies do I intend to review? Of course, a lot of the movies I will be reviewing will come from genres I usually enjoy watching, namely sci-fi, psychological thrillers, and dark comedies, but I will try my best to explore possibly all kinds of genres and movie plots. I will also try to bring to you movies from different generations because the good movies are never forgotten. What I can't promise you is to be able to review regularly movies currently in cinemas. I just don't have the resources (time and money) to do that, but if you're to sponsor me for that, then I will be more than willing. :D I am also accepting movie requests. Just send your requests to our e-mail address.

How do I review 'em?
I'll be using a simple 4-asterisks system similar to the 4-star system of the famous film critic, Roger Ebert. The following shows each possible rating and their respective meanings.

4 Asterisks. This film is highly recommended. I definitely enjoyed this movie and I'm betting you'll feel the same way.

3 Asterisks. Personally, this is a good film. May be forgotten eventually, but still a good film. These may be one of those hit-or-miss films. Obviously, a "hit" for me.

2 Asterisks. Opposite of 3-asterisks films. A "miss" for me. May be a "hit" for you.

1 Asterisk. A BAD movie. Don't bother watching it.

0 Asterisks. Just stay away from this movie. Don't even bother looking at the case of the CD or DVD. You would rather watch a horse galloping around a track for 1 and 1/2 hours than watch this pile of crap.

One last thing. My reviews may contain spoilers but I will definitely insert a warning in these articles containing spoilers.

So there you go. I hope you'll have fun reading the Sallie Gardner Effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment