Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Sallie Garder Effect: Did The Mayans Predict How Bad This Is?

Issue # 3
2012 (2009) Review
by ManicallyDepressed





2012 swept in more than 200 million USD over the weekends. I find it very odd that humans love the apocalyptic. The unfortunate thing is I am a member of this race so I had to watch this movie. Was it worth the money? Yes. Then, it’s a good movie, right? No.



The good stuff first. Destruction was well served. With a production budget of over 200 million USD, I didn’t doubt this movie regarding this aspect. Roland Emmerich is not without practice (Independence Day, Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow), and with this movie, he proved how badass he can be. The CG effects were so amazing and exciting that I’m betting they’re going to make a Hollywood thrill ride out of this. I didn’t even care about the scientific inaccuracies, because I’m not a geologist or whatever scientist and frankly, when the end of days comes, no one would really care. I highly recommend this movie to be watched in the big screen, so the special effects awesomeness can distract you from the fact that this is really a bad movie.

When talking about the end of days, we are not only concern about the earth, but also its habitants, specifically the human race. And this is what I felt was lacking in the movie. Emmerich was so busy destroying the earth that he disregarded the humans. The characters were not very well developed and I found them uninteresting, stereotypical, and stupid. And these are the people to supposedly continue the human race. We might as well give up our existence. The whole film was gunned with clichés, even with clichés born from the film itself. The cheap laughs were unnecessary, not to mention terrible. Ironic as it may sound, the movie is like a bad feel-good movie, with all those earthquakes, tidal waves and deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment